Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Looking Back...

This is it….. The beginning of what will and should be my final post(s).  Maybe it will be a two parter.  Breathe Elise, just breathe.

Ah…. I can’t believe it is all coming to an end.  Our year is over.  I can happily say that it took a year, it seemed like a year, and looking back, it is one of the happiest, most successful years in my life.  Not professionally, financially or physically but emotionally- I feel better.  It didn’t answer any questions I would have like to have answered: what should I do with my life?, where should my money come from?  what direction would make me happy in the long run?  Nope- still don’t know but I think I’m OK with that for now.  Ask me again in a few weeks when reality has hit, and I might be singing a different tune.

Dan and I discussed how best to approach the final post of the journey.   We decided to tackle the question we would likely be asked most frequently upon our return- “ What was your favourite part/moments on your trip?”.  Obviously, I won’t be able to narrow it down to a particular moment but I can share with you some of our favourites.  These are the moments that pop up out of nowhere in our conversations, the ones that make us laugh or make us long to return to whichever country it occurred.  We can’t remember them all but here is what we came up with, quickly, with no thought.

I’m breaking it down by country…

India


Oh India ;)  This still remains the favourite country we have visited on our year away.  I can’t even begin to explain why but here is our list.

Obviously, Jazz and Simer’s Wedding.  For so many reasons, this event alone helped shape our entire trip- for the better. The people, the food, the culture and the utter madness pushed us beyond our comfort zone and forced us to experience a truly unique and exciting glimpse of India we otherwise would not have seen.  Epic.
The Wedding: Day 1
The Wedding: Day 2
The Wedding: Day 3
The Wedding: Day 4

IMG_0533


The Golden Temple – not the temple itself- yes, it was beautiful and all, I mean, it was made ‘entirely of GOLD!’, more importantly it was the experience.  Going with our new found friends and having the opportunity to eat at the temple was a humbling experience we will not soon forget.
History, food and a Temple Made of Gold

Watching the Cricket World Cup in Khanna – Cricket in India is like Hockey in Canada. So it was our incredible fortune to be in India during the 2011 Cricket World Cup, the year that India was the tournament host, when their team won the cup for the first time in 28 years. They called it the ‘Billion Person Party’ and in the tiny village where we were during the final game, we did our part by dancing and singing and beating drums in the streets till 3am. A once in a lifetime experience!
The Cricket World Cup

IMG_1412


Delhi Belly- yep, a month rarely goes by that we don’t mention the dreaded Delhi Belly and thank our luck stars we survived.  Oh God, I don’t even want to think about it.

Rafting the Ganges- I wanted to experience the Ganges while in India but as far away from Varanasi as possible.  Hence the rafting.  At no moment did it cross our minds that the rafting itself wouldn’t be as dangerous as the drive to the river :)  Nothing in India is as it seems.
Adventure Sports In India?

Jazzy feeding us- I don’t know if Jazz would remember this but we do.  Dan and I arguing over finishing the last bite of saag.  Jazz solving the argument in perfect Indian fashion by feeding it to us.  Cute Jazz.


The Dalai Lama- Dan and I got to see His Holiness speak in the flesh- enough said.
Once In a Lifetime


Malaysia


It had it’s strong points.  Beautiful diving- well, to be more specific, the most beautiful diving we have seen to date.  The beaches were brilliant and the banana pancakes couldn’t be beat.  If I went back it would be for these things and these things alone. 

Tioman Island- I was thinking about this place last night while I was trying to sleep and I got so excited by the memory that I was up for hours.  I will never forget the island life here, the snorkelling, the sharks and my run in with a sea turtle.  This island inspired me to become a diver and challenged my beach bum skills.
A Slice of Heaven

Snorkelling with SHARKS! :) I know that I mentioned this above but it really deserves its own separate mention.  Little did I know that when I uttered the words, “I wanna swim with sharks” that our boat driver would take us to a secluded, shark filled bay.  Over the next few hours, I would swim almost to the point of drowning to experience the childlike excitement I have when I swim with sharks.
I Found my Calling!

Diving in The Perhentians – As you have surely noticed by now, Malaysia holds a special place in our hearts.  It was on the Perhentian Islands that we were introduced to my newest love and obsession, scuba diving.  Oh man, the things we saw while diving in Malaysia- we were so spoiled.
We Are Divers!!!

My friend Peter- Oh Peter.  I can still hear the scuttle of your little feet as you ran around our bungalow.
My Roomies

P4200019


Dan’s first Squat Toilet- Not days after Dan had uttered the words “I’m gonna do this whole trip without using a squat toilet”,  did I get the pleasure of informing him otherwise.  Thanks Dan, that was priceless.

Thailand


Glad I went, it was fun but I can’t say I would go back.

Koh Lanta Sunset and Surf-  the beach on Koh Lanta will be hard to forget.  It felt like it would just burst and water would flow everywhere.  Dan spent hours boogie boarding and the sunsets are just as colourful in my minds eye.
My Brilliant Idea

P5050029


Puking on The Beach- Yep, I said it.  Dan and I are adults now, we have had many years of parties to perfect the perfect alcohol intake.  Enter Thailand- cheap cocktails and unpredictable beers equals puking together, side by side on the beach.  Not our proudest moment.

Stanley Cup Finals in Chang Rai- We are real, devoted hockey fans, we woke up at 6:30 every other morning to watch the Stanley Cup play out on our little computer in Thailand.

Coming soon…. Part 2!

2 comments:

  1. Just a thought...if you want to keep the travel blog alive...you could join us on our 2 week California road trip. Yes....pales in comparison to what you just did, but think of the stories you could tell of ....of.....ummm....the beach? Oh wait...you live in Kelowna. Nevermind. None the less....COME!!!!! DO IT!!!! Before you get a job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. loved the puking side by side - that's love baby! i actually had a little lump in my throat reading this. it's the end of an era....

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...