Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Wedding: Day 3

  The third day of the 4 day wedding celebration was action packed indeed.  Dan and I learned a lot that day, as we have kinda just been floating through the wedding process completely clueless.
Now, I'm not gonna lie- I did have to google the names of all the ceremonies- there were so many on the third day and we couldn't keep the names straight :)  Also, this post is coming from a white girl, who has little to no idea what the meaning was behind anything that happened on Day 3- research if you like 'cause I'm just gonna write what I remember.

  There were plenty of people around for Day 1-2 but on day three, everyone came.  It was mostly just a jammble of ladies, men, children and in my opinion, way too many photographers and videographers- do Jazz and Simer really wanna see footage of Dan and I eating or staring off into space, lost and confused?
NO- they don't!

  The night began with a ceremony called 'Vatna'?.  All the guests assembled into the courtyard, Simmer sitting on a cloth, draped under a red scarf.   Dan and I just stood there, alongside the photographers as members of Simer's family smeared a brownish paste on Simer' hands and feet.  I guess it's a purification process- regardless, it was emotional and intimate.  As always, the photographers were there, snapping picture after picture, after picture.

  After Simer bathed, the second ceremony of the evening began. All the guests filed into the sitting room of the house, all the lights were turned off and the room was lit only with candles. Unfortunatly, I wasn't present as I went on a beer run- I'm a classy lady you know :)  A part of me is glad I wasn't there, as this ceremony in paticular was apparently very emotional for all that witnessed it.  Tears flowed as Simer received the buttermilk soaked bangles in the traditional 'Choora Ceremony'.  The bride is given a a series of red and white beaded bracelets that she is to wear for the ceremony the next day and for an additional 11 or 21 days following- it is her choice how long she wishes to wear them.

  The final ceremony of the evening was called the 'Ladies Sangeet" but contrary to the name- all who chose to participate in this event can do so.  We all took our place at the entrance gates to the property, ready to dance.  About 50 of us took to the streets, following the 'Jaggo'  which is a oversized crown like hat, electronicly lite with colouful lights. The crown would be passed from women to women to carry thoughout the celebration.  Two professional drum players accompanied us with double sided drums, they lead the guests in a sing-along of traditional Indian songs.  We went from house to house to sing and dance in their courtyards, and pretty much make an all around ruckus!!  The dance party carried on for a couple of hours as we made our way through to the neighbouring houses.  This was by far the most carefree, and fun celebration in the whole wedding process.  A note that I do have to make though.... walking through the alleyways and streets of India in the pitch dark of night is a great way to step in something unmentionable- or just simply into a large pothole!!

  Once we arrived home, we were welcomed by a CRAZY, Indian style firework show!!  By Indian style, I mean a box of fireworks, placed in the middle of the street!  It was AWESOME!! but a little scary, as some of them misfired, going off two feet from the ground- SCARY.  Now, keep in mind- Simer had a simple wedding- simple.  I guess hundreds of fireworks are simple ;)  My mind was blown at the sight!

  Then, in true Indian party fashion, we danced- for hours.  The party carried on till 2!  The drinks and food came out and we danced, and danced, and danced!!  I have come to realise that Dan and I aren't cut out to party this hard.  I think we ended up in bed at 1.  What can I say, my legs just wouldn't work anymore ;)




  (You may notice I'm wearing a different suit in this picture... This is the suit I wore to the ring ceremony, and after people began to arrive, and they noticed that I was wearing the same suite twice <gasp> one of them made arrangements to have a replacement suit brought by her sister, the heart-adorned suit that you see in the other picture. Not quite my favorite pattern, but a nice gesture!)

1 comment:

  1. oh come on elise...you've always been a sucker for those "heart" material outfits...hahaha... you're beautiful in the sari (is that what it's called??)

    and of course you were gone a beer run...we'd expect nothing less.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...