Saturday, February 19, 2011

Dr. Jones You Have Nothing On Me


OK, seriously, I don’t know how many times I can say it so you believe me- India is awesome!  I have quite the imagination and here it goes wild and I love it.  I can get lost in daydreams with fantastic colours, smells, temples, exotic animals and beautiful sunshine.  It’s crazy though because my daydreams are almost a reality.  Sunbathing at the Taj, exploring a temple with monkeys like Indian Jones, or wandering through an Indian style house like in The Little Princess.  MMMM India, you are so full of dreams and harsh realities, it makes my heart smile.
 IMG_0775
The Taj Mahal is all it is said to be and more.  I was so excited to see this famous monument but when I got there I lost it.  When you walk through the main gate you are greeted by one of the most awe inspiring, breathtaking views in the world.  The Taj Mahal stands, in all it glory, in the Indian sun, massive and sparkly white- it is magnificent!  Ah, I don’t have words to describe it’s beauty and scale, it truly is a marvel.  The grounds are massive, containing gardens with old growth trees, fountains and flowers.  The Taj itself is very well preserved and for this reason visitors are required to wear shoe covers when entering.  The marble work is something to see, with intricate floral designs, geometric patterns and Islamic text covering the walls, the whole building is beautifully and tastefully decorated.  I sat, with Dan beside me soaking in the sun while I pictured the empire in it’s glory and what can I say- I can’t think of any other way I would want to spend my afternoon.  Taj Mahal- you are glorious indeed.
 IMG_0846
IMG_0847
P2170165 P2170162
Next, we paid a visit to the Agra Fort- yes!, it was also AMAZING.  Ah, I felt like Indiana Jones, wandering through cool, dark hallways of red sandstone searching for a hidden treasure. My daydream was complete with monkeys scaling the walls, snakes and spiders lurking in dark shadows…..OK, there weren’t any snakes, and if there were spiders I didn’t see them but monkeys, there were.  Yeah, monkeys.  Now, I was fully expecting to see monkeys while in India but not at temples in the middle of the city!!  It was so awesome- monkeys are so awesome and I got to see them, climbing up beautiful red walls and sitting atop ancient terraces .  It was brilliant. The fort itself was MASSIVE- MASSIVE.  Only 30% is open to visitors, the rest is closed for military use and it still took us a couple hours to wander through.
P2170194
IMG_0882
P2170180

2 comments:

  1. i can totally feel your energy as i'm reading that! so awesome! the taj mahal....looks amazing. you're beautiful sunbathing there! however...my favorite part....the red shoe coverings...i love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My fav is the picture with all the men!! Such an adventure!! Great pictures, the colours are brillant and the architecture is gorgeous, can't imagine it in person :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...