Thursday, January 12, 2012

Looking Back Part II

And so we continue our look back at some of our favourite moments on our year out.  This isn’t easy you know…writing about our favourite experiences while sitting in Red Deer in the bitter cold of winter.  Don’t get me wrong, the company is great and it was missed but really- burrr.  I guess if anything, this post allows me to return, if only for a few moments to balmy beaches, cold beers, shorts and gasp-sandals.  Feel sorry for me?

OK- lets get on with it already :)


Laos


OK- I loved Laos.  Not only were the people amazing but the food- oh the food.  The scenery was beautiful and for some reason the entire country had a peaceful, easy feeling to it.  Laos is worthy.

Sticky Rice and Noodle Soup- awe man, can still remember buying bags of sticky rice from which I would pull off a section, roll into a ball and nibble on for hours.  This would sustain me until I would find a steamy bowl of Noodle Soup.  Now, I know that Vietnam is famous for its ‘Pho’ but the noodle soup in Laos takes the cake-hands down.  Trust me, I ate it at least once a day.
Laos: Top 10

IMG_0271

IMG_0121

Transportation- All the rumours about  local transport in Laos is all true- all of it.  Out of all the countries we visited, we will always look back at our time in transit in Laos and laugh.  Nothing was ever simple or boring (Oh wait, day two on the slow boat to Luang Prabang was pretty boring).  Whether it was drinking way too much in the engine room of a slow boat, sitting on plastic chairs in the isle of a over packed local bus or trying to hold my stomach as we manoeuvred the horribly twisty mountain roads, Laos transport was an adventure in itself- every time.
Planes, Trains, Automobiles.... And Buses

IMG_0108

This snap needs a little explanation.  Since all transport takes forever in Loas- most trips were around 12 hours, our feet and legs got really, really swollen.  I know most of you don’t know how fat our feet usually are but I can assure you we were both so shocked we took a picture.  Kinda freaky at times actually.

Cambodia


I still stand by the fact that the Cambodians are the friendliest bunch in all of SE Asia.  Anyone wanna argue this?  Anyways, though Cambodia has little to see in the way of tourist attractions, the history and people alone will surely stay with you for a life time.

Genocide Museums-   a part of me wishes I never visited these sights but I know that I was lucky to do so.  Just thinking of them makes me want to cry all over again, I get a sick feeling but I know that knowing and seeing the history first hand made me realise just how special Cambodia was.  You have to wonder, after being so abused, how could the people still be so warm and welcoming?
My Cambodia Wrap Up

Siem Reap-  Aside from being the jumping off point for Angkor Wat, this city was just fun.  Yes, it was touristy but at this point in the trip we needed a little taste of the west.  Beers, wine, clubs. good friends and drunken stories made for a very memorable visit indeed.
Tomb Raiders

IMG_0650

Lady Boy Hookers- Poor Dan… On the way back to the hotel from ‘Pub Street’ with our new English friends, Dan attracted the attention of a group of Lady-Boy Hookers. After many suggestions, groping and feeling, he managed to escape, pants fastened, and beat a hasty retreat. Moral of the story, when coming home drunk in SE Asia, you never know when you’ll be molested by a group of Lady-Boy hookers!

Vietnam

I was pleasantly surprised with Vietnam.  I knew that we would enjoy it but I figured it would have a hard time living up to Laos and Cambodia- I wasn’t disappointed.  I might actually go back, if only for Jungle Beach and Cat Ba.

Jungle Beach-  awe, my favourite.  I felt like I was in a movie while we were here.  Aside from the  drunken relationship grilling we got from our friends- you know who you are :)  Good people, great food, music, hash, booze, beach and stars.  Is there anything else a person needs?
Our Hidden Paradise

IMG_1154

Cat Ba Caving and Kayaking-  Not only was it nice to get some much needed exercise, it was bloody beautiful, fun and at times, scary.  Remember the bats? 
Ha Long Happiness

P9160578

Our friend John in Danang-  John was an awesome and rare find in Vietnam.  In a country that isn’t the warmest or welcoming towards foreigners, we were so happy and privileged to meet John. We met his amazing family, spent hours chatting and practising English, and it was his friendship that made Danang one of our favourite cities in Vietnam!

IMG_1281

Co Chi Tunnel with Audrey and Arriana- Ha Ha….to all our friends at home, you’ll hear the video:)  Yeah, that’s right girlies, everyone is gonna hear you screaming ;)
28,000 Words from Vietnam

Motor biking to Market in Sapa- Oh, so beautiful.  Out of all the moto trips we took, this was one of our favourite drives.  It would be nice if I could forget the puppy market though :(
Last Days in 'Nam

P9250010

Ha Ha Dan :)

Alright…one more to go.

1 comment:

  1. so amazing!! What a year, when you ask me about mine, I think 3 words will sum it up...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...