Saturday, October 1, 2011

Last Days in ‘Nam

I have a confession to make… I LOVE Thai massage!   LOVE, LOVE, LOVE.  When I get home, start running again, working and generally doing more every day, I think I will invest in Thai Massage.  Yes, that is what I will do.
Now that I have that out of my system, I will fill you in on our past few weeks.  If you can believe it, our 6 month stint in SE Asia has come to an end.  We are currently in Bangkok, Thailand waiting for our flight to Amman, Jordan tomorrow.  It blows my mind- time is flying by, it seems like just yesterday we arrived in KL, Malaysia but I guess at the same time it feels like forever ago.  So here we are on our last day here, sitting over our last truly Asian meal on this trip, talking about what we will miss, our favourite experiences and our favourite places.  I know I will miss the rice- if you can even believe it.  Since it is a staple in my everyday meals, I have grown to love it.  I will miss the geckos on the walls, the frog parties and Asian organization.  What I won’t miss: the shady cuts of meat, the humidity and constant aroma of fish sauce.  It is true that my love for the Middle East still outweighs my feelings toward Asia,  but I am glad that I came here.  I am happy with the time we spent and as we leave I feel that we had the time and opportunities to explore SE Asia to its fullest.
Though we are finished with our trip through Asia, I do want to fill you in on our last few stops before we left Vietnam.  Here are a few pictures of our last two destinations- Sapa and Hanoi.

IMG_1573
Sapa was a beautiful, sleepy, albeit chilly, mountain town. This picture was taken on our last full day, and the fog just got thicker by the hour. It was always fairly foggy, which made getting pics of the spectacular views a bit frustrating, but when it was clear, it was breathtaking.
P9250010
These ponchos are quite baggy on Vietnamese people… Not in this case. To Bac Ha Market!!
P9250012
I think if I lived in the mountains, I would live off berries and not go through all this work… CRAZY! It seemed as though 3/4 of the mountain sides had been shaped into irrigable land for growing rice, tea, corn, etc.
P9250028
After an awesome ride through the mountains, we arrived at the town of Bac Ha, and their weekly Sunday Market! The minority tribes people come from all the surrounding villages to sell their wares, livestock, etc.  A very colourful bunch!
P9250039
Mmmm Chillies! 
P9250071
On our way back up to Sapa… This was the lowest point between the two towns, and Sapa is waaay up near the top.
IMG_1498
Sitting at a roadside fresh-beer stall in Hanoi. And when I say roadside, I mean our plastic chairs were places on the road, so the motos would come rather close at times! The woman who ran this ‘establishment’ was notorious in the backpacker crowd, as she wouldn’t serve you if you asked politely; you had to rudely demand what you wanted and insult her to get a beer. Very strange :S
P9210002
Very light traffic on the narrow streets in the Old Quarter of Hanoi.
P9210003
I’d say at least 85% of the vehicles in Hanoi are scooters or motos (motorbikes). Imagine how much more space we’d have in Canada if everyone drove one of these instead of a car/truck/SUV?
IMG_1507
Our Swedish friend Robert donning the uniform of a banana vendor on the street. We paid 10,000 Dong for this photo :P
IMG_1508
Not a real 7-11  X)
IMG_1504
Not a real Half-Man-Half-Noodle, but a pretty interesting restaurant! 

2 comments:

  1. that first picture blows my mind. i love it! it's a blow up and frame picture. i do get cold just looking at it, but i love it!

    can't wait to hear the next phase of stories...

    ReplyDelete
  2. half man half noodle!!! Bahaha, it makes me laugh, just like the menu pictures... very random

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...