Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Ha Long Happiness


Yeah!!!  Ha Long Bay here I come….is what I said when I entered Vietnam.  Then I spoke with backpacker after backpacker, after backpacker who left Ha Long Bay disappointed.  What, you’re telling me that Ha Long Bay hasn’t been spared the aggressive touts, piles of garbage, pollution and the over abundance of package tour operators?  Well shit, I guess my vision of basking in the sun, enjoying some kayaking, camping, cold beer and peace and quiet would inevitably be ruined by the constant traffic of tour boats offering yet another cliché tour- Damn.
Ha, then I found out about Cat Ba Island, and I was sold!  Maybe I would get my kayaking after all and maybe I won’t have to take my life into my own hands because of dodgy equipment and run-down leaky boats.  With our spirits uplifted, we made our way to Cat Ba City, located on Cat Ba Island, in the middle of Ha Long Bay, a lengthy boat trip away from the over saturated Ha Long City!!  Once we arrived, we were pleasantly surprised- where were all the tourists?  Well, they were obviously on the ocean front strip but if you ventured up further you were greeted by a beautiful, authentic Vietnamese city.  Loved it!!

IMG_1388

Check out the view from our hotel room.  A view like this anywhere in Canada would cost a premium, but here, $9!  Yeah!! :) 

IMG_1430

So, our hotel was a little bizarre and special.  The building was right against a limestone ridge, the back wall being made up entirely of stone. Very cool, but they didn’t fair so well when it rained for 7 days straight prior to our arrival. We got the “only dry room” when we checked in!

P9150536

One of the draws of Cat Ba Island was not only Ha Long Bay but all the spelunking that you could do around the island (thanks Chris Essay for reintroducing that word to my vocabulary!).  Note to self, wear shoes, not flip flops and remember a flashlight.

IMG_1437

BATS!!!! I LOVE BATS!!!!

P9170615

How cute!  Look at their adorable little feet! :D

IMG_1426

One of the three beautiful beaches on the island. You’d float on your back with your eyes closed, and open them to the site of the limestone cliffs framing the blue sky!

IMG_1449

A view from Hospital Cave. This small village was on the cusp of the National Park (I’ve never seen so much heavy machinery in a National Park, but oh well), and had a lot of agriculture lending to some pretty amazing scenery.

IMG_1483

Where are all the tourists??  No one, just us, just how we like it! Imagine yourself kayaking around this scene… Not bad eh?

P9160569

One of the floating villages we encountered while on our kayak tour through the bay.  Notice the lack of garbage.  Splendid!

P9160579

A shot of the cliffs I had been waiting for months, if not years to see.  I am happy to report, they didn’t disappoint, they were just as beautiful as I imagined they would be.

P9170623

Don’t fall!!!  (Does Dan look like he’s got a care in the world?)

IMG_1456

Hey- a special shout out to the first traveling married couple we have met on our journey.  Happy Honeymoon Ross and Christina!

IMG_1429

Our climbing and kayaking crew out for dinner and drinks after a successful day in the bay.  Another great bunch of people we’ve had the pleasure of meeting in Vietnam.

3 comments:

  1. ummm...the peace sign? really? you are to the canadian version of our asian tourists here. hahahaha! another fab post! beautiful scenery! and bats? i'll pass...thanks! you can have them all to yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tee hee the floating villages made me think of Katara imitating the river spirit in Avatar:D
    those cliffs do look like the reason to travel all the way there... oh and Stellaluna the bat too!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...