Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Our Hidden Paradise


Picture this…
You're chest deep in inky black water, studded with glowing lights of the phosphorescent plankton that mimic the vast starlit sky above you.  The air is still warm but the water has cooled slightly, a refreshing and invigorating change after a long day of enjoying the hot, hot heat. When the occasional shooting star streaks across the sky, you are overwhelmed with the beauty of the world as you float on your back, weightless.  It is almost too much to handle, too much to take in… Where do you look, when there is just so much beauty around you?  This is my life out here and moments like these are what make travelling so addicting.  All you want to do is search for the next beautiful moment, or idea or person that crosses your path.
This moment in particular made me think of when I first saw The Beach, you know, the movie with Leonardo DiCaprio. It helped to nurture my travel dreams and made me long for an escape like the one he experienced in the movie.  Since then, I have been to Bangkok, and I imagine that the overwhelming growth since the movie was released lends to the huge disappointment that I encountered upon arriving to the city.  Where was the seedy under belly of Bangkok, the unknown, the adventure?  Eventually we made our way to the famed island of Koh Phi Phi, the setting of The Beach.  We were actually going to the beach that made the whole movie what it was, an adventure in paradise.  Once we arrived I couldn’t leave fast enough.  Is it safe to say that Koh Phi Phi is one of the most overrated, tourist-saturated spots in Thailand? Possibly.  Now don’t get me wrong, I didn’t aspire to find the SE Asia that Richard encountered in the movie but I won’t lie, I have thought of it from time to time.  Is it still possible to get so completely lost in travel?  To fall so deeply in love with a place or a moment that you continually look to top it, to re-create the rush and the childlike awe of the unknown?
Then we happened to meet some fellow travellers that sent rave reviews our way about a certain destination called Jungle Beach.  The general consensus was “Go, just go”.  So, even though it was slightly out of our budget, we went and were not disappointed.  Our two days easily turned into four and if budget wasn’t an option, I don’t know if we would have left.  Dan and I had the pleasure of meeting some fantastic travellers and hopefully, life-long friends.  Then I had a thought, is this my Beach?  Have I found the hidden paradise I have been looking for?  I think the answer is yes.  It meets most of my criteria.  It is still relatively unknown and most visitors find their way here via word of mouth or by accident (there is also a hand-drawn map on the wall, though not doodled by Daffy).  The scenery and beach are the most beautiful in Vietnam, the food is bloody brilliant and the communal eating arrangements only lend to the overall vibe here at Jungle Beach.  Yes, it does lack the endless fields of marijuana that got the movie characters in heaps of trouble, but that is easily remedied if that’s your flavour, and the unrefined feel of the place only lends to its appeal.  I loved Jungle Beach, its soft white sand, cool evening swims, huge black starry nights made all the more enjoyable with the light of a beach bonfire, a Saigon Red and some great company.  I love my life :)

P9030116

A snap of Dan and I after a morning hike up to the ‘waterfalls’.  Hmmm, what had so much promise ended up being a stagnant, rubbish filled pool of water.  Oh well, it made for some good exercise which is much needed at this point. Jungle Beach is the backdrop, and how stunning it is!

IMG_1163

A view from the water during our afternoon swim.  Ah, it's hard being me :)


IMG_1198

Oh yeah, doesn’t this shot just make you wanna travel?  Jealous anyone? :)

IMG_1206

I love it!!  This place gave me the jump start I needed to finish Vietnam.  We also left with some great inspiration for possible job opportunities in the future.  This is what travel is about- open your mind to new experiences and you will gain knowledge you never anticipated.


 Shameless plug, although being so close to the surf it didn't leave a lasting impression.


IMG_1221

Just when you're getting a little bit hungry, an afternoon fruit plate arrives on the beach to hit the spot.  Simple luxuries.


IMG_1153

Awe, our friends… we miss you all.  This was always the part of the day I looked forward to the most.  Sharing a love of  music, food and travel is a great way to enjoy an evening with friends.

IMG_1175

Bonfire on the beach, made all the more chill with some star gazing and a late night dip in the Ocean.  An all-around great evening.

IMG_1226

Our Asian poses- Nice.  Except for ‘Some Guy’ beside me- where were you on that?

3 comments:

  1. i loved this post. i love that beach. i love the pictures. i love the fruit plate. i love the fire on the beach. i love it all. love you guys! glad you got a jumpstart to keep going! i want to hear more about the job opportunities!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. reading this post made my DAY!
    love you guys and looking forward to finding you back in BC.
    safe travels
    -davie
    ox

    ReplyDelete
  3. reading this post made my DAY!
    love you guys and looking forward to meeting up again in BC.
    -davie, ox

    P.S. love the plug on the beach, i shoulda done the same. how do i increase my readership?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...