Sunday, July 31, 2011

Tomb Raiders

  So, Dan and I have successfully scratched off yet another world wonder from our list... It is not officially on the 'New 7 Wonders of the World' list, but it was a finalist, and dare I say, I can see why it didn't make the cut... I was a little disappointed with this one.  *GASP*- I said it, there is no going back- every Cambodian in history will surely hate me but I have to be honest.  Don't get me wrong, Angkor Wat was impressive and it made a slight impression on me but after spending two long days exploring temple after temple, after temple, in the end I much preferred some of the other temples surrounding it.  Here are a few pictures of some of the sights we saw over the past few days.


  I feel a little bad because I didn't take very many pictures of Angkor Wat.  We started our day at 5:00 am to catch the view of the sunrise behind the temple but because it was so cloudy, there was no sunrise.
This is the only shot I took of the temple from the outside.



A couple pictures of Dan and I at Angkor Wat




Like I said, we saw many temples over the two days, so many that I couldn't tell you what the name of this one was.
I do know it is where the King would stand to address his people... I think :)


Cambodia has some awesome trees and they are especially beautiful when their roots snake their way through temple walls.  Stunning!  Also, I think this is one of the temples that Tomb Raider was filmed at.




Um- I feel really bad that I have no idea what this temple is called or when it was built, who built is or what for.  It's pretty though.




Some of the intricate carvings that decorate some of the temple walls.



OH- these were my favourite temples.  They are so unique, quirky and a little bizarre.
It is rather creepy to walk around and have big huge faces staring down at you.
This was the Bayon temple.




Another cool tree. 


Ha Ha.  This is a picture of Dan- lending his head to one of the many statues that flanked the South Gate of Angkor Thom.


Maybe we should have bought one of the Temple History books that the hawker kids were selling at all the sights, then I could give you a little info.  All in hindsight.




Dancing Shiva- maybe



OK- these stairs were terrifying.  Apparently there had been a few tourist accidents- by accidents, I think they meant death.  Seriously, they were so steep, narrow and covered with a fine sand- I was actually nevous to climb them, then scared to climb back down.  Freaky!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...