Sunday, January 29, 2012

Looking Back Part III


OK my friends, this is the final wrap up post.  Though, I don’t know if I will be finished with this blog just yet.  I still feel the need to write things down as I experience them because even though I am home everything is new to me again.  I dunno, we’ll see but if you are interested, check back because I may have a little more to say.

Moving on to the task at hand- the highlights of the final few countries on our journey.

Jordan


Ah, Jordan- we loved this country. I have to admit, I knew very little of the country before we arrived but as always, we embraced the unknown and were pleasantly surprised.  This is a country we would love to re-visit for the food, the scenery and Petra!

Food in Amman- Oh my, the food in the capital city of Amman was bloody epic.  I dream of it, I talk about it every other day.  Oh Kanafa- you tasty, tasty treat.  Dan and I had no problem finding cheap, fast, incredibly delicious food in Amman.  I miss it.
A Woman and Amman in Jordan

IMG_1626

Petra - Yah Petra!! I love you!  I would take another trip to Jordan just to hit up Petra again.  It just blew my mind.  This was one of the only places that I actually cried when I left- cried, me.  Next time, 5 days minimum.  We joke about our lovely Spanish friend Daniel every other day.  Thanks Daniel for making our trip to Petra  “very special” ;)
Petra - Truly a Wonder

PA120266

Dead Sea- OK, I don’t really know what is wrong with people but the word through the grapevine was that The Dead Sea should be visited but could be missed.  Are you people mental?  The Dead Sea was one of the most trippy experiences I have ever had in my life.  You don’t even have to know how to swim.  Yeah, wrap your mind around that!
Cruisin' through the desert in our Skoda

IMG_1805

The Night Sky in Wadi Rum -  I still giggle when I think of our experience in Wadi Rum at night.  Danny and I lying on the sand, counting the shooting stars while doing periodic flashlight sweeps of the area.  There are scorpions in the desert you know.  Scary but beautiful.
The Stars are Brighter in the Desert

Egypt


Oh yeah, I love Egypt.  I thank my lucky stars every day that we were able to go back when  we did.  What a time to be there.  While there we learned just how isolated North America is from the rest of the world.

Cairo- Timeout-  my dream came true.  Dan and I rented an apartment in Cairo, made loads of friends and got to know the city.  Still, after travelling a small part of the world, Cairo is by far my favourite city. For once, in almost a year, Dan and I had our own home. Staying up late, drinking tea with friends, grocery shopping and buying fresh ayeish (Egyptian flatbread)= perfect, lazy bliss.
Cairo Time
A Fond Farewell

Jens Visit- it was the most bizarre feeling to meet family in another country.  It made us stop and look around at what our life had become.  It was amazing to have Dan’s sister overseas with us for a short time, actually I never imagined just how interesting it could be.  Ha Ha Jen.  Are you sure? The chicken was so good :)
2 Week Adventure
2 Week Adventure Part II

Pyramids- Ya, I’ve seen the pyramids before but seriously, they are fucked up!  They are way too mysterious to ponder in one visit, let alone two.  Really, people built these with simple tools- I think not.  I remember sitting by the Sphinx, with a view of the Pyramids in the distance just trying to absorb the feeling that they give me.  I wish I could bottle it.

IMG_2258

Coffee with Ahmed- Hey Ahmed, we miss you!!  Ok people imagine this… Dan and I not having good coffee in 8 months.  It’s tragic I know.  That was until we met our good friend Ahmed- then I got to indulge in the best Lattes in the Middle East almost every night.  Yes, the walk was long but the coffee and the company was worth it. If you’re in Cairo, go see Ahmed at On-The-Run in Dokki (across the bridge from El Gazirah and left after the Sheraton).

IMG_2092

Morocco


Morocco was a pleasant surprise.  After months of being stared at by everyone that I encountered, I was blissfully ignored in Morocco.  This country really intrigued me with it’s mix of ethnicities, amazing, fresh, cruelty/pesticide/GMO free foods, varied landscapes and fabulous shopping.  Morocco was chic, modern, authentic, interesting and exciting.
From the Markets to the Sea
All I Want for Christmas...
Morocco... Is Awesome!!

Riad in Fez Medina-  First of all, it was soooo cold.  Our mornings and evenings were spent wrapped up in blankets- yeah, multiple blankets.  Aside from the cold, our stay in an authentic Riad in Fez’ medina was an awesome way to experience the daily life of Moroccan women, oh, and taste home-made couscous.  Yum

PC060045

The Sahara- I rode a camel in the Sahara desert.  Is there anything better than sunshine, cool fall air and camels- no.  I love camels!!  The planet has so many amazing, mysterious landscapes and the desert is one of them.  Aside from the massive sunglass tan that I acquired, I loved every minute that I spent in the Sahara.
Camping in the Dunes

Kasbah in Merzouga- OK, first of all, we didn’t quite know what to expect when we were picked up on the outskirts of Merzouga and taken to our Kasbah.  What is a kasbah anyways?  Well, now I know. We stayed at Chez Julia, and not only was our Kasbah beautiful, cozy and colourful, the food was delicious and there were like 8 kittens running around.  Adorable.  Yes, our accommodation was amazing but the town of Merzouga intrigued me.  It had the vibe of a western film- one long, wide dirt street, quiet, deserted shops, dusty winds and if you replace the horses with camels and bikes you’re set for a movie.  Fun
I get less attention than the strays...

PC100048

Homemade Food- Oh Morocco.  Nowhere else, well other than Khanna (India), were we so fortunate to indulge in fresh, authentic, homemade food.  Hand rolled couscous- have you ever tasted it?  It’s like a fluffy cloud made of delicious.  Moroccan soups- yum, tajines- yum, Couscous-de-marriage- yum!  Oh, how I miss the food.
Canadians Don't Eat Food

1 comment:

  1. great post! I knew who to hit up for info when I go to Egypt (: and your Jordan era reminded me of the conversation we had about how you guys got the Jordan LP book in Vietnam - too funny.

    keep writing the posts! i love reading them (:

    hugs, davie

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...