Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Cairo Time

AH!?  How do I explain the greatest city in the world?... this is my problem.

Dan and I have finally, finally arrived in Cairo.  To be completely honest, in the beginning, the reason I wanted to travel for a year was to eventually end up back in Cairo- the city I fell head over heals in love with over two years ago.  We have traveled, seen a small chunk of the world and visited many, many capital cities.  When the time came to return to Cairo I was nervous- would my travel experience change Cairo for me?  My nervousness was doubled by the fact that our first stop in Egypt was Dahab.  Yes, I liked it enough but it freaked me out.  Had Egypt turned into a knock off version of Thailand?  Luckily, when we finally entered the Cairo city limits I was bombarded by smells, crazy traffic and a beautiful orange, pollution tainted sunset.  Things were looking up but how will the revolution have changed Cairo?  Would I walk the streets feeling unsafe?  Would hooligans be terrorizing the streets?

I couldn’t be more surprised, more excited, and simply more happy.  Yes, Cairo has changed for me- on my last visit I was a tourist.  Touts were after me, the streets were busy, the buildings were towering and I felt as if I would be engulfed - the sensation made me feel alive.  Now we are here as travellers and for a short while we will live here.  We have a flat, a neighbourhood, friends and local hangouts.  The buildings have shrunk to normal size or maybe I have just gotten that much more confident.  The revolution has awakened the Egyptian people- the city is alive again with a much needed freedom, a breath of fresh air and a hope for the future.  As I walk the streets, off to buy groceries or to meet a friend for tea and sheesha I try to take in all the city has to offer because unlike every other city I have visited, Cairo alone has a life and a history like no other.  I love this city- it is my home away from home and to me, it is better than all the rest.

IMG_2099


A shot taken in our neighbourhood.  So many people, so much traffic, I am in love- for now :)

PB020008


A Egyptian on his cell phone in Tahir Square.  I love the Egyptian pride in this square.  You can by badges, t-shirts, flags or even have the Egyptian flag painted on you.  Egyptians love their country.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...