Monday, March 21, 2011

Once in a Lifetime

Today is a Holy Day in India. 
I was excited to round my day off with a dance party, full of colour and I’m sure loads of shirab- but I sit and write instead.  My night was cut short by an INSANE storm.  Yes, I was excited to disco but I am equally excited to sit on a mountainside and enjoy Mother Nature’s show!  WOW, what a show indeed.  I can say that I have never experienced a storm like the one that is happening as I write.  We are perched on the side of a mountain, high up but at what elevation I am  not sure.  The lightning is so close we could reach out and touch it, the sky is purple and the thunder triumphant.  I think Zeus is right above my roof and he isn’t happy for whatever reason.  Now let me grab a cup of tea and I will tell you about my day :)
Ah, much better.  So, my day started bright and early (for us anyways.  When you have no job or responsibilities you tend to sleep in- every day :)  As I was saying…) we rolled out of bed and were ready to trek down the mountain at 6am.  We hoofed it as we wanted to get good seats.  A person doesn’t want to be at the back of the line when going to see the DALAI LAMA!!  He He, yes I said the Dalai Lama- himself, in the flesh!  We entered the monastery and home to His Holiness, looked for a seat and parked ourselves down and prepared to wait.  Luckily we met up with some friends and chilled with them to pass the time.  When the clock struck 8, he made his entrance, with his entourage and sat in a lovely chair right in front of us!  If we were at a concert, our seats would have been killer and quite the pretty penny at that :)
We sat, crossed legged in the Monastery courtyard as His Holiness spoke of what ‘Holi’ means (the festival of colours) and explained the importance of the Buddhist traditions.  He told many stories of fellow Buddhists he had met during his travels abroad- he had asked them all one simple question “What is Buddhism?”- none could give an answer.  Interesting.  So he took the time to explain that Buddhism itself isn’t only a process of chanting but of being mindful of others and yourself.  By having piece of mind, one does not have the need for material things or of the luxuries of our modern society, to live simply is enough.  Hmmmm- I don’t think I will become a Buddhist anytime soon- I like my luxuries from time to time.
He went on to further explain his decision to step down as the political leader of the Tibetan people.  His decision is based on many things but the one that he focused on the most was the need to adapt to modern times and establish a democracy.
He joked and laughed- the Tibetans along with him, us foreigners waiting for the translation, provided by a translator via FM radio.  The jokes never quite made sense as they were lost in translation but I am sure a lot was along the way.  It almost seemed that by the time the translator caught up the point was lost.  Eventually, we took out our headphones and just enjoyed him speak.  He sounds like Yoda (no disrespect) it is absolutely adorable.
He rounded off his teaching with a prayer and touched on the situation of Tibet and again my mood shifted.  I don’t know if there will be hope for these people.  It sure speaks of our culture – it is the new millennium for Gods sake, why is this still happening??  So I say again, do your research or in the very least, be a ‘friend’ on the Dalai Lama’s Facebook page.  Yeah, he has a Facebook page, he is just that cool :)

1 comment:

  1. A facebook page for real!! Last night you didn't tell me he was right in front of you! Oh my word... so enjoying your writing my lady, especially the reference to Zeus! Love you

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...