Monday, March 21, 2011

A Day BY MYSELF!

Today I hung out with myself and it wasn’t because I was sick in the hotel room either! 
I am lucky enough to be in a super small and safe town right now.  I say "I am lucky" because since we started travelling I have noticed a devastatingly awful flaw- I get lost.  I get lost so badly. I don’t think I could travel alone.  I imagine I would leave my hotel room for breakfast and spend half of the day trying to find my way back.  It’s embarrassing :(  So, after five days of being in the same spot, taking the same way down to town and navigating the three main streets I was comfortable taking a solo day when I was given the opportunity! 
I made my way down to Mcleod Ganj to enjoy my day of shopping, sightseeing, reading and writing- I was happy as a clam.  What can I say- it is difficult being with someone 24/7, even if it is with my husband whom I get along with marvellously.  We have had our small spats, and each had our moments or days but generally all has been amazingly smooth.  Regardless, I like my alone time.  I enjoy my jogs and walks to work, they allow me to explore my mind and be in the silence of myself.  We have been gone for two months and I haven’t had the luxury of being alone- not once, and it isn’t for lack of trying.
So, I went to a cafe alone (something I have never done during this trip) had lunch and enjoyed a lovely book.  I looked in all the shops and spent some time writing. That took three hours and I had four.  I was done all that I had planned to do and had to stay in the city to meet Dan- now what?  I was alone.  No travellers felt like talking to me and I was full, so I couldn’t eat to waste time- HMMMM, now what.  I can’t recall ever really feeling like I didn’t want to be alone and I had only really been by myself for 4 hours.  Bizarre.
This post has no point- it is just an observation.  Am I changing in ways I didn’t expect?  Am I becoming more social?  Do I need a constant companion by my side to be comfortable?  Who knows.  I imagine I would be OK as a solo traveller but I am glad to have my Hubby and my friends by my side.  My experience alone today changed how I look at solo travellers.  I can say that I don’t envy their solitude anymore.  I guess this feeling will pass soon when Dan is farting next to me, the bathroom is steps away from the bed or we are smooshed into one small berth on the train.  For now I am happy to have my husband with me 24/7 :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...