Monday, January 28, 2013

Paris Picture Post

 

Ok, so here’s the truth.  I did have the best of intentions to write about our time in Paris, because we did have quite the time.  But frankly, I am behind on my posts, and have already been in Cairo for a few days now.  Cairo is a million miles from Paris, and Paris seems a like it happened so long ago.  My beloved Cairo has changed so much since our last visit, and it is weighing heavily on me right now.  So, I’m sorry my friends, Paris will just be a quick picture post.

IMG_3410

Our first night in Paris was slushy and kinda miserable actually.  If I weren’t in Paris, I would have stayed in.  Instead, we dropped off our packs and decided to brave the slippery, icy climb to the highest point in Paris to see the Sacré-Cœur Basilica (Sacred Heart for those of you who, like me, didn’t take French class).  Sweet Church.  Loved it!!

 

IMG_3418

Another tick off the bucket list!  I got to see the Louve, na na, na na, na na :)  A part of me kinda lives for museums, I could literally spends days and days in them, just wandering and trying to soak in all the wisdom from the past.  I basically said to Dan, “ Today we will be here all Day- ALL DAY.”  and we were.  We wandered until our legs felt like stumps and I was on the verge of crying from exhaustion. 

 

IMG_3440

A little factoid about Dan- He likes baboons.  He kinda blends in :)

 

IMG_3463

So, we hit the Louve right, we saw all the famous paintings, ya, but I need a little explanation as to why they are so special.  The Mona LIsa for example: Meh.  I saw so many beautiful paintings in Paris and Amsterdam that in my opinion, were much more inspiring.  I just didn’t fully grasp some of their significances'.

 

IMG_3495

Sweetness!  The sculptures really blew my mind.  How beautiful.

 

IMG_3492

I liked these ladies.  They seem happy and content.

 

IMG_3501

Amazing.

 

IMG_3510

Ok, enough about The Louvre.  On to some of the other cool landmarks and tourist attractions in Paris.  We had to visit the Eiffel Tower of course, though quite honestly, I coulda skipped it.  It was quite the blustery day, and after hitting l’Arc de Triomphe, we went on up the Tower.  We were met by wet, rainy cold and a cloudy view, and could only go up halfway due to the snow. We took a snap, then turned around and left.  Unimpressive.

 

IMG_3563

Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Paris is another spot on the tourist beat, and that was a little more impressive.  I did enjoy it.  Dan was quite intrigued by the relics (pictured above) of some of the famous saints.  Why a piece of someone's dead body is prized I don’t quite get, but it is pretty gruesome and creepy nonetheless.

 

IMG_3546

Now, I don’t mean for it to come across that I didn’t enjoy Paris; on the contrary I did, immensely.  I just found that my favourite parts of our visit weren’t any of the attractions, but in fact were the walks to and from them.  I enjoyed people watching, the delicious coffee and the still more delicious cheeses and breads.  The fashion made me envious and the lifestyle had me questioning my own.  What else do you want out of a city?  Oh, maybe an amazing little hotel just off the Rue des Martyrs, that is a short walk away from the famed Moulin Rouge in the red light district and in the eclectic neighbourhood of Montmartre. If your travels find you in Paris, I HIGHLY recommend this area of the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...