Friday, January 25, 2013

Arrival in Amsterdam – Where to next?


Our travel drought is over; finally we are on the road again, if only for a short while.  It was hard at first, to check out, relax and open myself to the experience of travel.  It was different this time, but it only took a few days to unplug from my life at home, and enjoy the journey, no strings attached.
Dan and I have a tendency to fly by the seat of our pants when we travel, and as in previous trips, this one was no different.  We had a desire to capture the feeling of long term travel, but in the time we had (three weeks), I didn’t know if it could be possible.  So, in the spirit of the gypsy traveler, we walked into a travel agency, booked a ticket to Cairo, with an 11 day layover in Amsterdam, and put it on the back burner.  Then, the time came.  We packed our bags, boarded our plane and as always, made plans as we went.
Nothing in this world, in my opinion, compares to the feelings that spontaneity bring.  I couldn’t have imagined that I would have found myself in that magical/romantic town in Belgium I had seen in a little movie titled ‘In Bruges’, or to be at a train station asking for two tickets to Paris?  Don’t things like that only happen in movies?
So, as I wait to board our plane to Cairo, I just have one thought that I want to impart… If you have the desire to see the world or to go on an adventure, simply book a ticket and go!

Alright, now for the pics, as I know you all like them.  Sorry, we haven’t taken many that are worthy, but I will post some anyways.  Here are a few ‘snaps’ from Amsterdam and Bruges.
IMG_3321
After we arrived in Amsterdam, we decided to take an early morning walk while we waited to check into our hostel.  Cold but sunny.

IMG_3334
The following day wasn’t so sun shiny.  Apparently, Europe is also having an unusual winter, which means we trudged around in the bloody cold and snow for two weeks.  Nice. Why didn’t we go to Mexico for our vacation?

IMG_3343
We were able to fit in a little skate on an outdoor rink in Amsterdam. The rented skates were so dull they would slide sideways, even after Dan brought them back and asked for them to be sharpened, but it was still a fun time.
Final word about the infamous Amsterdam; it was beautiful, but it wasn’t my favourite.  We used our imagination and pictured the city in Summer, lush and green and picturesque with cool breezes flowing off the many canals. I imagine it would be much better then, but the flip side of being there when we were, we got to enjoy the city less crowded, with no lines, no wait and a little on the cheap.

On to Bruges…
IMG_3349
A sleepy Bruges canal. Is it the Canadian in us that makes one want to strap on a pair of skates and go nuts?

IMG_3351
A shot from Bruges city centre. The expansive squares were such a contrast from the narrow cobble-stoned streets.

IMG_3355
Taking time for dinner, warmed by the fire place, hot stew and romantic candle light.

IMG_3361
Belgium is quite flat, so the little kiddies have to take advantage of this small hill to get in some serious sledding.

IMG_3366
Another shot taken while we meander around the village.  So pretty.


IMG_3396
A birds eye view of the town, taken atop the famous Belfry Tower.  It was bloody freakin’ freezing up there, but the view was worth it.

IMG_3403
This is the Belfry Tower. 366 steps up a tiny spiral staircase to take the previous picture.

Bruges- I loved!  Since it is so beautiful, many, many people vacation there, so it was a little expensive.  Although it was the off season, the city was still rather packed, but still really enjoyable.  Winter actually lends to the still romance of this medieval town, so no complaints there. 
next……Paris :)

1 comment:

  1. Oh how I've missed your blog and your writing! The talent makes me feel like I'm right there living your vacation. Maybe you should ditch the hubby, join me in Mexico and blog about that??!! hahahaha
    Love you guys and miss ya tons!! Can't wait for more posts! PS...I'm so sharing this on FB!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...