Thursday, January 31, 2013

Cairo – January 2013


I thought today would be nice day for a friendly, happy picture post.  Truthfully, I need it.  Since our arrival in Egypt. the question that we get asked most often is why we are here [now?], and the answer is always the same- because we love it here.

IMG_3586
This is the view from our balcony in our hotel room.  When we booked our stay here before we left Canada we didn’t quite realize the location until we arrived.  Not only is it a fantastic hotel, but we are literally steps away from our favourite cafe, grocery store and eateries.  Also, I get to see ‘my chicken’ outside of my room.  This particular ad/mural makes me smile every time I see it and it is one of my favourite images in all of downtown Cairo.  On top of that, we have a mosque right outside our window, so we hear the call to prayer loud and clear every day.  Could it get any better?

IMG_3593
Dan and I finally paid the fee to go up the Cairo tower this time around (we were too poor the last time), and we weren’t disappointed.  The day was gorgeous, and the 360 degree view un-matched.

IMG_3596


IMG_3606
Our first night with a couple of our closest friends in Cairo, Emad and Ahmed.  Tea, sheesha and good friends.

IMG_3610
On our first trip to Egypt back in 2009, Dan and I had the pleasure of having a sweet treat that I affectionately named ‘honey balls’.  They were so delicious that I searched for them time and time again to no avail, until the other evening.  I have since found these sinful little treats, and now my life is a little more complete.  Fried balls of dough, soaked in honey, what a brilliant idea!

IMG_3613
Dan and I, along with some of our Egyptian posse, decided to seek out some greener pastures at Al Azhar Park in Islamic Cairo.   It offered a quiet, green escape from the dusty city along with some great views off the surrounding mosques , cityscape and the Giza Pyramids on the horizon.

IMG_3614

20130130_075949

20130130_075954
The people-watching in Cairo is epic, and often hilarious.  Who needs a truck or a car for that matter :)



1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...