Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Our Return to a Revolution

 

I’m not really sure how this happened, or for what reason, but once again, Dan and I have found ourselves in Cairo, during another uprising.  I am not sure how we didn’t notice, but we were set to arrive in Egypt on the 2nd anniversary of The Revolution.  Don’t fret for us, we are fine and truthfully, it is an exciting time to be here, but really where do we get our timing?

Now here’s my thought or rant if you will…..  Let me paint the picture.

If you have been hiding under a rock for the past two years,  I will catch you up on a little thing called the Egyptian Revolution.  Two years ago, on January 25, the Egyptian people started a movement to speak up, come together and overthrow their corrupt government- to put it simply.  Since the massive protests that toppled the 30 year rein of President Hosni Mubarak, Egypt has been in a limbo of uncertainty. (See this Wiki for more information on the events of the revolution and the following months)  Tahrir Square continues to be occupied every Friday by peaceful protesters demanding various changes in current policies, not such an easy task I think. 

So, once again, we find ourselves back in my beloved city.  The protests are in full swing again in Tahrir Square.  The people are out in mass groups, hijacking the streets, barricading bridges as they march.  Some are out solely to cause trouble I’m sure, but most are just trying to be heard and the past gives them hope that they will be, so they march and celebrate their victories.  Though neither of us can understand what they ask for or for what cause they are marching, we are moved none the less. (In The Grit - Blog by fellow Canadian who is here to cover the demonstrations from within the square. Check it out.) Their chants give me goose bumps and their pride and dedication inspire me.  We walk through the streets, we make our way through a maze of people, to find a chair in our crowded cafe to enjoy a hookah and some tea and I am sitting on a thought.  Couldn’t we Canadians learn a little from our Egyptian friends?  Couldn’t we march?  If we did, would we have the passion to come together and challenge our government to work for us like it should?   Ya, Canada is no Egypt, and we aren’t in such an extreme situation, but Canada is in a pivotal moment, where we could either stand up, or step aside.  So until I post again and elaborate on my thoughts of the current state in Egypt, I hope you will think about this question, roll it over in your mind, discuss it with your friends and family, and see what you come up with. I’d love to hear your thoughts…

 

20130125_114119

Both these pics where taken on the night of the revolution’s anniversary, on Talat Harb Street, with Tahrir Square in the distance.  They aren’t the greatest representation of the crowd and the atmosphere for two reasons.  The first being our reluctance to venture too closely to the action- too dangerous for my liking as we had little knowledge of what to expect.  Secondly, night shots are always quite tricky to capture since the air in Cairo is always dusty but I figured I would include them regardless.

 

20130125_114223

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...