Thursday, June 9, 2011

If I had a Million Dollars…

 

  I know that all of us have played this game more times than we would care to admit.  I am almost certain the fantasy of endless wealth entered my mind on a weekly basis while I was back home.  Now that I am living my dream life, I can safely say that it hasn’t entered my mind in months.  I think differently now.  That was until Dan and I were sitting and enjoying our Thai Foot Massages- which in reality isn’t only a foot massage but in fact a full body massage.  Brilliant!  So my mind was relaxed and it started to wander.  Dan and I have had many discussions about where we see ourselves when we return home and I was starting get a pretty clear idea.  That was until I found myself playing the “if I won the lottery” game- blast, I thought I was past this.  It is interesting, my “rich Elise” life has changed since I began my travels.  I always imagined that I would use a large chunk of my money to travel the world for long periods of time- that I would just wander endlessly with not a care in the world.  Now, I realize that I like having a home.  I enjoy my routine, to an extent and understand that a year is a very long time.  I can’t imagine ever stopping and staying still in one place, never travelling again, but if I had endless funds, instead of a year, it would be months at a time.  I don’t know how many people could travel for a year more than once in a lifetime.  Running with the same thought, along the same lines- I am a Canadian Girl, I LOVE Canada!  Dan and I have had the pleasure of seeing some amazing places, and are scheduled to see more.  I have fantasized about raising children on an island in Malaysia, or being a dive instructor somewhere in South East Asia- the life here has it’s strong points.  The pace is slower, more intimate at times.  Life seems more organic.  All that aside, I don’t know if I could ever leave the West Coast.  We have beautiful lush forests, clean air and a laid back attitude that is somewhere between island life and the fast, stressed pace of the western world.  So, I have decided on a compromise. If Dan and I were to ever win the lottery we would buy houses in foreign places.  We can live there if we want, of just visit when we want.  I think I will start with a bungalow on a cliff side somewhere on the Malaysian islands.  Oh yeah, I can picture it now.

I have also realized just how much I enjoy working- but not the 9-5 kind.  When Dan and I started planning our trip and spreading the news of our extended departure, our friends and family had mixed reactions.  One that I do remember was jealousy, envy that we were taking a year off work for an extended vacation.  Wrong!!  Dan and I aren’t on vacation, we are just experiencing a different form of work.  Every waking moment presents a challenge that is invigorating, though difficult to escape from when exhausted.  I wouldn’t trade it for a 9-5 any day- so now I know.  I like to work and I love a challenge, not only that but I know now that not only do I love challenge, but I am better for it.  Mark my words, when I get home I will not fall right back into my old routine but find a challenging, difficult and exciting way to make my money.  That is only if I don’t win the lottery, if we win Dan and I will open our own business.  We have many ideas, now we just need the funds.

Another thing that has changed considerably from my previous wealthy  picture is my home life.  No longer do I want a housekeeper  to come clean for me because that is something I have come to miss about having a home.  OK, maybe someone can come in once a month and do a overhaul but weekly, there is no chance.  I miss cooking everyday- eating out for three meals a day, for a whole year is completely ridiculous.  I hate menus, and I miss washing dishes with my husband.  There is something to be said about making a meal with your friends, then cleaning up after yourself.  I think that is something that humans or maybe just women need in their life.  A house to clean, a family or friends to cook for- that’s happiness.

OK.  Since I have decided to cross off some expensive items for my rich Elise life, I think it is safe to say that I could afford some luxuries.  I need a private Thai masseuse.  Just three days a week- that’s all.  I picture her and I being friends- her and I would gossip over my weekly massages, we would be friends- is that so bad?  Not only would it bring me peace of mind and clear my blocked Chakras, it would also help my tired legs after long days working, travelling and running marathons.  Yes, rich Elise runs marathons.

So, that is my evolved picture.  Of course it has many more aspects, though these are the only few that have changed.  What are your wishes if you won the lottery?  I know you have perfect picture of how your life would be.  Come on, play with me ;)

4 comments:

  1. I love your dreams! It's really amazing the things we discover that we need/love when we don't have them....everyday things we just take for granted. I know I'm a Canadian girl and would have a VERY hard time leaving BC for an extended amount of time. Rich Lisa would have a luxurious house on the beach with bbqs and parties and lots of awesome vacations. Rich Lisa would never have to clean the bathroom. I love to cook and clean, but not the bathroom...I hate cleaning it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i was thinking more about this post after i made that comment. something i never thought about with travelling is the eating out. i would totally get sick of having to do that for every meal. i also love setting up "home" like when i'm camping or wherever i go, so being a gypsy wouldn't appeal to me....i like staying places for awhile. the rich lisa would be even more lazy than poor lisa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh look how i posted under two different accounts. neat.

    and weird.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are neat and a little weird :) Yeah, that is one thing that I really don't like about travelling, eating out. Even when we have a kitchen to cook in (which has only been once), we made pasta 5 days in a row because we don't know how to cook local food and pasta is generally the cheapest, fastest meal. It is all a vicious, unavoidable cycle.
    Hmmm- maybe rich Elise should take some cooking classes. OH yeah, I forgot about the bathroom, I HATE cleaning it too- can you hire someone just to clean your bathroom?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...