Friday, June 3, 2011

Do you have a Monkey Mind?


It is probably safe to say that most of you take care of your body every day.  You shower, brush your teeth, eat and some of you even exercise.  How many of you can say that you take care of your mind?  Even though it is a part of your being and you use it every moment of every day- much like your bodies- have you cared for it?  Have you trained it to obey you or is your mind like a monkey- jumping this way and that- totally and sometimes dangerously unpredictable?
When Dan and I decided to embark on our trip of a lifetime I had a few goals in mind.  I had decided that I wanted to explore and experience all that came my way- to make the most of my journey.  I also had a small list of “to-do’s”:  I wanted to order off menus that I couldn’t read (not an easy feat when you are a vegetarian), learn conversational words in local languages, take time to learn guitar- the list goes on.  One thing that was particularly high on my list was meditation.  I had dabbled in some unsuccessful, and admittedly uninspired attempts over the past few years, but it is something I have always longed for.  I saw meditation as a way to still my overactive mind, a relaxation from the fast pace of my life and an all around pleasant club that I wanted to be a part of.
While in India I encountered some opportunities that fell through.  Mostly they were free guided meditations and that wasn’t really what I was looking for so I can’t say I was too upset.  I also had an opportunity while in northern India to sign Dan and I up for a 10 day Vispassana retreat.  I was stoked but after Dan read that it would require his total restraint from cigarettes and everything else (reading, writing, speaking, everything) he declined.  As eager as I was, I would be lying if I said I upset with his lack of interest- 10 days is a long time.
India came and went with no meditation.  I was feeling defeated; up until now I had been crossing off items from my list almost daily but I guess things seem to work out just when you stop trying.  My lovely friend and travel companion Lilli would be meeting up with us in Chiang Mai (Northern Thailand) and her hope was to attend a 2-day Buddhist Meditation Retreat.  Awesome.  Once we met up and with a little leg work on her end we were quickly on a Tuk Tuk to the Buddhist University in Chiang Mai to sign up for the retreat!
We purchased our modest white clothes that we were required to wear for the duration, paid our 500 baht and sat with the 20-odd westerners in a conference room, nervously and awkwardly awaiting instruction.  We were then introduced to our Master (a 30 yr old monk who had been wearing his robes for 20 years!) who commenced to deliver one of the most inspiring lectures I have ever had the pleasure to hear.  He took no less than two hours to explain the basics of Buddhism, including the history and a few basic beliefs, the history of the Monk Chat and the Meditation Retreat, the benefits of meditation and the techniques we would be practising over the next two days.
We all left excited and motivated to train our Monkey Minds into submission.  After an hour long drive to a peaceful, tranquil, remote location we filed off the bus and again, waited for instruction.  We signed up for our rooms (two of the same gender per room), got our keys and listened to our itinerary for the next two days.  It went something like this…..
- chanting before dinner.  Once dinner was served silence would commence until the end of the retreat.  Yes- complete silence- no talking.
-5 minute break
-chanting in the Meditation Hall followed by 45 mins of meditation practise.
- 9 pm bedtime
-5 am gong.  YUCK!
-5:30 am chanting in the Meditation Hall followed by 45 mins of meditation practise.
-offering of Alms to the Monks.
-chanting and breakfast…. remember, no talking!
-chanting and 45 mins of meditation practice.
-discussion and a temporary break from silence.
- silence resumes. chanting and 45 mins of meditation practise. 
- chanting and lunch.
-goodbyes and bus home.
AWESOME!!  I could write and write for hours about all that I learned over those two days.  Not only did I practise three methods of meditation (all of which are completely easy to do on your own) I learnt about the daily life of the Monks here in Thailand.  It was not only a fantastic way to get the tools I need for meditation practise, it was also a great way to learn more about the culture and beliefs of the Thai people.  By no means will I become Buddhist and at no time did I feel like I was being preached to but I did find beliefs that I know I will apply to my daily life.  I could write for hours and bore you with what I learned over those two days- I won’t.  I will say that the experience was something I would never trade and it changed my way of thinking.  Please, if you have any question about what I learned, just ask me or check out the Monk Chat website.
So now I have checked yet another item off my list!  Tonight I will do my meditation before bed and feel better for it :)  Yeah Me!!  Thanks Monk Chat, for asking me some important questions.
ps- photos of me and Lilli will be one the website shortly.



 Me and Lilli in our white clothes.  I can't recall the last time I wore all white.





2 comments:

  1. wow...what an experience and what discipline to actually do it. there is NO way i could go silent for that long (but you knew that already). you look amazing!! love to hear you're checking items off your list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my mind is a howler monkey for sure!! Glad that you are learning so much along the way my sweet:)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...